On Thursday, LPFA hosted Seven Minute Storytelling! This was our first virtual Zoom event and based on how all things COVID are trending at the moment, it’ll probably not be our last – it was really fun! We wrangled 6 different presenters from across the Los Padres who each gave seven minute presentations about their favorite LP trails, exploits and adventures from around the forest. Topics included exploring the Ventura Backcountry, Santa Barbara thru-backpacking, off-trail Santa Ynez Mountains, Condor Trail, SLO Backcountry and more…
Click out the presentations on our youtube channel!
Thank you to all our excellent presenters and audience members for a great evening of learning and sharing! Let us know what you thought of this event: firstname.lastname@example.org
— • — • — • —
We have some more great news to share from the LPFA front. Earlier this summer we had the pleasure of welcoming Kendra Moss to the LPFA team as our new Program Manager. Kendra has a background in retail, education, and social media management, but most of all she’s a well organized, good person with a passion for helping the forest. For those of you who haven’t interacted with Kendra yet, she’s terrific and we’re very lucky to have her helping our efforts across the Los Padres. Three cheers to Kendra and welcome aboard!
— • — • — • —
• Faster than a speeding car along Hwy 33. More powerful than 50 graffiti’ers in Santa Paula Canyon. Able to destroy person-made creek dams in a single swoop. Look! Down in that creek! It’s a salmon. It’s a newt. No, it’s Ellie Mora! Our latest Volunteer of the Month is one of our favorites, Ellie Mora! HOORAY! Ellie has become a true Los Padres superhero, tirelessly championing the efforts to cleanup Santa Paula Canyon and leading her army of fellow volunteers anywhere and everywhere across Ventura County chasing the dastardly hoards of graffiti’ers and trash throwers who dare to damage our public lands. Ellie is also helping the LPFA with our monthly Ojai First Saturday trail projects and somehow still finds time to be a tremendous role model for her young son. Like we said, a superhero! Thank you Ellie for all you do and we think you’re just scratching the surface! Cheers…..
• Looks like another busy year of illegal marijuana eradication efforts across the forest. Ventura County has already reported seizing nearly 75,000 plants with 11 suspects being arrested. Be careful everyone and here are some tips for staying safe should you come across a grow site…..
• Thanks to everyone who submitted pictures or the 2021 Los Padres calendar. We’re currently going through the hundreds of photo submissions and finalizing the layout for the calendar. We’re planning on having the calendar to the printer soon in hopes of having the final calendars ready to go by December 1. To learn more or to order your 2021 LP calendar, click the link here.
• Wherever you find yourself, please be sure to VOTE! And then treat yourself to a hike or rideafterwards……
• Reminder that the Los Padres remains in fire restrictions that prohibit campfires across the forest and camp stoves are only allowed within Designated Campfire Use sites, meaning no stoves of any kind in the backcountry. The Forest Service is reviewing these restrictions weekly and we’ll provide updates as they become available.
• The Dolan Fire has had a few recent flare ups from within its perimeter but is holding at 124,924 acres and is currently 98% contained. BAER efforts are underway to help protect the trails, roads and resources from upcoming rain damage. The Monterey Ranger District remains closed due to the Dolan Fire although some of the dayuse areas along Hwy 1 have reopened.
• Speaking of Dolan, there is a scheduled release of 7 California condors along the central coast in order to help re-population efforts after the fire related condor deaths earlier this summer.
• If you’re a Santa Barbara Frontcountry trail user, you’ll like to see a recent short film that Montecito Trails Foundation produced called For the Love of the Trails. Lots of great scenery and even a few cameos. Check it out…