The Ventana Black Rhino
Hope you are spending some time on the trail today working off yesterdays Thanksgiving feast. While most of the LP is drenched in sun today, the weather is changing as we brace for a potentially large storm hitting Saturday through next Tuesday. Most of the forest should see some rain but amounts will vary greatly across the region. Forecasters are calling for a possible 6+ inches in the northern mountains and as low as half an inch in the lower inland areas. Check your local forecast to see specifics for your area.
We mentioned some of the road closures earlier this week, but with the impending storm there have been some additional closures in the Santa Lucia Ranger District. Here we go…….
Effective November 30th the following roads will be closed:
- La Brea/Colson area at the Forest boundary (Forest Road 11N04.4)
- Sierra Madre Road at intersection with Highway 166 (Forest Road 32S13.1)
- Bates Canyon past Bates Canyon Campground (Forest Road 11N01.3)
- Figueroa Mountain area at the Lookout (Forest Road 8N16), East Pinery (Forest Road 8N32) and Zaca Ridge Road (Forest Road 8N02)
Effective December 1st the following roads will be closed:
- Pozo OHV Area: gates at Forest Roads 15E04, 29S02, 30S18, 29S01; and OHV Trails 29S16, 29S27, 16E22, 30S17, 16E05A, 30S17 and 16E21
- Rockfront Area at Forest Road 30S02
- Forest Service coordinates closure of Hi Mountain Road with San Luis Obispo County (30S05). Gates are at Pozo Fire Station and the Forest boundary on the Arroyo-Grande side.
The SLRD will reevaluate the road conditions after the storms pass through. We’ll keep you posted as soon as we hear anything.
Enjoy the weekend………