BLUFF – POPLAR WORKING VACATION
• General hunting season ended a few weeks ago for most of the Los Padres (A Zone South) but general deer season opens this weekend for Zone D13, which covers most of the Mt Pinos Ranger District and a large portion of the Ojai District. Click here for a map of D13. D13 opens October 13 and lasts through November 11.
• A coalition of local Southern Los Padres trail organizations, including the LPFA, have combined forces to raise needed funds to restore the trails impacted by the Thomas Fire. You’ll be hearing A LOT more about the Thomas Fire Trail Fund in the coming weeks/months but we have released a PDF update on the Thomas Fire trail restoration efforts, check it out here.
• Two California Condors have been found dead in recent months as a result of gunshot wounds. One condor was found near Porterville and the other in Kern County, just outside the Los Padres. Currently there is a $15,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for these tragic deaths.
• The LPFA will once again be printing 2019 Los Padres calendars just in time for the holidays. We’re looking for any great photos you might have of the Los Padres that we could include in the calendar. Email us (INFO@LPForest.org) for more information.
• The Ogilvy Fire was declared 100% contained. The fire chewed up 172 acres and burned from September 1-4 in the Mono drainage in the Santa Barbara Backcountry.
• Sycamore Canyon Road, which is used to access Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur, is closed to the public Monday – Friday lasting through November 30. The road is currently being repaired after sustaining major damage in the 2016-2017 atmospheric river storms.
• Don’t forget to check HikeLosPadres.com before your next adventure into the Los Padres. Great place to read about water and trail conditions. And don’t forget to share your findings when you get back…..